Wednesday 9 April 2014

Mini Teddies - free amigurumi patterns!

If you've read previous entries in this blog, you'll know that over the last few years I've made lots of small amigurumi toys for the Christmas Bazaar at my sons' school, and I've tried to share the various patterns. Originally I posted the patterns on Craftster, including one for tiny teddies -http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=289504.msg3296032#msg3296032  
Another member, Wayuki, liked the pattern and changed it a bit -
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=298179.msg3398743#msg3398743
I liked the way she made the heads of the teddies bigger, so I tried her version and tweaked it a bit myself, and I've used my second version to make lots of teddies for the Bazaar.
 
 
I know people have used my original Tiny Teddy pattern and had fun with it, so I thought I'd post that (with a few little alterations) and the larger Little Teddy pattern, so you can make either or both of them as you like. I've made a pair of the two different sizes using candy-coloured self striping yarn, then I've used natural coloured yarns to make two Tiny Teddies and one Little Teddy, so you can compare them.
 
 
Abbreviations:
ch = chain
st = stitch or stitches
sc = single crochet (US), double crochet (UK)
dc = double crochet (US), treble crochet (UK)
tog = together
sc2tog = decrease by working two sc together
bob = bobble (see special stitch instructions)
pop = popcorn (see special stitch instructions)
FO = fasten off
 
General instructions: Work in rounds unless otherwise stated and do not join rounds unless told to. Use a stitch marker to mark the start of a round - a small piece of different coloured yarn placed under the stitch at the start of the round will do. To start a round, you can use the magic ring method, but I prefer (ch 2, work 6 sc into 1st ch). The first ch is a slip knot so it will expand and if you work the 6 sc over the tail of yarn as well you can use that to pull the hole tight.
 
Work through both loops of stitches unless otherwise indicated.
 
Special stitch instructions:
3 dc bob: bobble stitch for Tiny Teddy ears. YOH (yarn over hook), insert hook into next stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH, pull through 2 loops, *YOH, insert hook into same stitch, YOH and pull through loop, YOH, pull through 2 loops, repeat once from*, YOH, pull through all 4 loops on hook.
3 dc pop: popcorn stitch for Little Teddy ears. Work 3 dc into 1 st, take hook out leaving loop, put hook through 1st dc & pull loop through.
4 dc pop: popcorn stitch for arms and legs. Work 4 dc into 1 st, take hook out leaving loop, put hook through 1st dc & pull loop through.
 
 
You will need:
Small amount of yarn, any colour you like, in double knitting or worsted weight.
Small amount of black yarn for eyes and mouth.
Small amount of stuffing.
3.5mm (E) hook.
 
 
 
Little Teddy in middle, Tiny Teddies on left and right


 
Tiny Teddy
 
These teddies really are tiny - depending on the yarn you use they'll be about 3.5 cm/1.5" tall.
 
Round 1: Ch 2, work 6 sc into 1st ch - 6 st.
Round 2: [2 sc in next st, (3dc bob and sc in next st), 2 sc in next st] 2 times - 12 st.
Round 3 - 4: (2 rounds) Sc in each st around - 12 st.
Round 5: [Sc2tog, sc in next st] 4 times – 8 st.
Round 6: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st] 2 times – 10 st.
Round 7: Sc in next 4 st, 4dc pop, sc in next 3 st, 4dc pop, sc in next st - 10 st.
Round 8: Sc in each st around - 10 st.
Round 9: 2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 st – 12 st.
Round 10: Sc in each st around - 12 st.
Round 11: Sc in next 7 st, 4dc pop, sc in next 3 st, 4dc pop - 12 st.
Round 12: [Sc2tog] 6 times – 6 sc. FO, leaving a length of yarn.
 
Stuff head and body. Push the bobbles on the head outwards and embroider features using black yarn. Use length of yarn to sew up hole at bottom, pulling yarn upwards through body to make sure the bottom is flat.
 
    
Little Teddy
 
These cute little teddies will end up about 4.5 cm/1.75" tall, depending on the yarn you use.
 
Round 1: Ch 2, work 6 sc into 1st ch - 6 st.
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around - 12 st.
Round 3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, 3dc pop in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 2 times - 18 st.
Round 4 - 6: (3 rounds) Sc in each st around - 18 st.
Round 7: [Sc2tog, sc in next st] 6 times – 12 st.
Round 8: [Sc2tog, sc in next 2 st] 3 times – 9 st.
Round 9: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st] 3 times – 12 st.
Round 10: Sc in next 5 st, 4dc pop, sc in next 4 st, 4dc pop, sc in next st - 12 st.
Round 11 - 12: (2 rounds) Sc in each st around - 12 st.
Round 13: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st] 3 times – 15 st.
Round 14: Sc in next 9 st, 4dc pop, sc in next 3 st, 4dc pop, sc in next st - 15 st.
Round 15: [Sc2tog, sc in next 3 st] 3 times – 12 st.
Round 16: [Sc2tog] 6 times – 6 sc. FO, leaving a length of yarn.
 
Stuff head and body and embroider features using black yarn. Use length of yarn to sew up hole at bottom, pulling yarn upwards through body to make sure the bottom is flat.
 

 
Tiny Teddy on left, Little Teddy on right
 
 
 


 
 

10 comments:

Keroro said...

The bears are so cute! It's very nice as a gift. Thank you for it!

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks!

chelsea said...

Thank you! so cute!

Janice Rine said...

These are very sweet. They remind me of the animals on another site I enjoy, mochimochiland.com. I think you would like her & her site. Thank you for the free pattern. I hope you also enjoy Anna's blog. Janice R.

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks! I love Mochimochiland patterns - makes me wish I could knit.

Kleinene said...

I think I made about a dozen bears till now! Thank you so much for this pattern! I also made a german version of the tutorial for a friend who was not able to cope with the english one. Is it ok if i publish the German Tut. in my blog www.kleinene.de? Of course I will point out that the origin can be seen on your blog.
Greetings from Erlangen, Germany
Steffi

LucyRavenscar said...

Yes, that would great. Let me know when you've posted the German version and I'll link to it.

Unknown said...

I love this Little teddy pattern, I hate sewing things together! I am going to a "make gift bags for the homeless children" event at the end of the month and have been looking for something quick and cute to make, these will do the trick!
I will use puffy paint for the features as I hate sewing them but wanted to thank you for the pattern.

Loretta Byington said...

I used the valentines mouse so when I was looking for something with Christmas color yarn I found you again! Thank fir making these free as I’m a senior on a limited budget and I mostly crochet gifts for friends and family

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you! I'm glad you found these patterns useful.