Sunday 7 February 2010

Cork and Crochet: Ninjas




You will need:
Small amount of black yarn.
Grey yarn to embroider throwing stars.
A cork, approx 1.75" (4.5cm) long.
Black permanent marker pen (Sharpie).
4 mm (F) hook.


Abbreviations:
ch = chain
st = stitch or stitches
ss = slip stitch
sc = single crochet (US), double crochet (UK)
BLO = back loop only
FLO = front loop only
FO = fasten off


General instructions:
Work in rounds unless otherwise stated and do not join rounds unless told to. Use a stitch marker to mark the start of a round - a small piece of different coloured yarn placed under the stitch at the start of the round will do. To start a round, you can use the magic ring method, but I prefer (ch2, work 6 sc into 1st ch). If you work the 6 sc over the tail of yarn as well you can use that to pull the hole tight.


Work through both loops of stitches unless otherwise indicated.



Round 1: Ch2, work 6 sc into 1st ch - 6 sc.
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc around - 12 sc.
Round 3: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc] 3 times – 15 sc.
Round 4 - 5: (2 rounds) Sc in each sc around - 15 sc.
Ch1, turn.

Row 1: Sc in next 10 sc, ch1, turn - 10 sc.
Row 2: Sc in next 10 sc, ch5.
Round 6: Sc into 1st sc of row 2, sc in next 3 sc, [to make ties: ss in next sc, ch3, ss into 2nd ch from hook, ss in next ch, ss back into original sc] 2 times, sc in next 4 sc, 5 sc over ch5 - 15 st.
Round 7: Sc in each st around (work into 1st ss for each of the ties) - 15 sc.
Round 8 - 12: (5 rounds) Sc in each sc around - 15 sc.
Ss in next sc, FO and weave in end.


Use grey yarn to sew two throwing stars onto body.

Fit over cork and carefully draw face in the gap.

11 comments:

Kellie said...

Have to tell you your patterns are awesome!!! Can not wait to try them.

LucyRavenscar said...

Thanks, have fun!

trish said...

just came across your blog from the free amigurumi pattern blog, and wanted to let you know that these cork characters are brilliant! i especially love the ninja, he is so awesome! :D

LucyRavenscar said...

Thank you!

Leigh said...

Hi, I love these patterns but I seem to be having problem reading your pattern (its probably me!)

Round 1-3 is fine. The Ch1, turn after Round 4-5 I assume is just after Round 5?

Assuming this is the case Row 1 is being stitched into stitches 15-5 of Round 5 and then the ch1 1 turn is another 10 sc into the 10 just done?

Shouldn't there be another turn before doing Row 2 to go aback in the other direction?

This is my big problem though, with 3 turns I'm now finishing Row 2 in the wrong direction and then Round 6 is going the wrong way too (as well as the rest of the pattern!

What am I doing wrong!!??

Thanks for your help!

Leigh

LucyRavenscar said...

I think the bit you're missing is the ch 5 at the end of Row 2 that links across the bottom of the hole where the eyes are going to be (on the cork). Does that make any sense?

Leigh said...

I have the 5 ch....the problem is if I'm going 'forwards' with the rounds and then I go 'backwards' for the first 10 of Row 1, 'forwards' for the second 10 of row 1, 'backwards' for row 2, then if I ch 5 and attach to the start of row 2 aren't I still going 'backwards' or have a done an extra turn in there somewhere?

I'm not that much of a novice but I'm drawing a blank with this! ;-)

And I really want to make these!!

LucyRavenscar said...

I think the problem may be the way you're reading row 1.

Row 1: Sc in next 10 sc, ch1, turn - 10 sc.

There's only one lot of 10 sc, the 10 sc at the end after the dash is just to show how many stitches there are in row 1.

So, 'backwards' for row 1, 'forwards' for row 2, then ch 5 and join to the start of row 2, and continue working 'forwards' for the rest of the ninja.

Hopefully it will make sense now!

Leigh said...

D'oh!

Makes MUCH more sense now!

I'll give it a whirl and see how I get on!

Leigh

Leigh said...

Success! And now to make an army of them!

Thanks for your help!

LucyRavenscar said...

Yay! I'm glad it all made sense.